Drought-hit Ninh Thuan to get nearly 1,000 tonnes of rice aid
People in Phuoc Nam commune of Thuan Nam district receive rice from the national reserve. Photo: VNA
More than 954 tonnes of rice from the national reserve were sent to Ninh Thuan on October 13 and 14 to assist local people in drought-plagued areas.
According to director of the provincial Department of Labour, Invalids and Social Affairs Ha Anh Quang, authorities in these areas - Thuan Bac, Ninh Son, Ninh Hai, Ninh Phuoc, Thuan Nam, and Bac Ai districts - have been asked to prepare plans for receiving and distributing the aid in line with regulations.
15,002 households with 63,634 members in these districts are set to receive 15 kg of rice per person each month. Beneficiaries are poor or near-poor and work in agricultural production, or are classified as among the most vulnerable groups in the community.
Bac Ai and Thuan Nam districts together have the highest number of families set to receive the aid, at 9,343 in total.
Recipients in Thuan Nam’s Phuoc Nam commune said prolonged drought over the past two years has left them without water for cultivation and forced them to abandon most of their arable land.
The province also experienced a historic drought between last November and May this year.
As of May 24, the total volume of water in 21 lakes in the province accounted for just over 12 percent of designed capacity. Seventeen lakes were totally empty, and local people had to abandon this year’s summer-autumn crop on more than 15,300 ha of land, losing 10,800ha of rice and 4,500 ha of vegetables.
Floods cause severe damage in central localities. Source: VOV
The Standing Office of the Central Steering Committee for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control said that severe flooding and a series of landslides triggered by a period of torrential rain in the central region has claimed a total of 36 lives, with a further 22 injured and 12 others missing by the end of October 13. However, this figure excludes the missing victims of the landslide which has hit the Rao Trang 3 Hydropower Plant in Thua Thien Hue province.
The hardest hit locality has been Quang Tri, with 10 dead and five missing, followed by Quang Nam, Thua Thien Hue, Da Nang, Quang Binh, Kon Tum, and Gia Lai.
Localities also have been urged to quickly evacuate people from coastal areas, call on vessels at sea to seek shelter, and take coercive measures where necessary to brace for Storm Nangka - the seventh in the East Sea since the beginning of this year.
A report of the Border Guard High Command delivered to a meeting at the Central Steering Committee for Disaster Prevention and Control on October 14 shows that as of 6 am, 31,096 ships with 115,607 people on board had been guided out of dangerous areas. There are currently 330 vessels with 700 people on board operating in the waters of northern Quang Ninh province. In the morning of the 14th, the provincial Board Guard resolutely requested these vessels come ashore to ensure safety.
Ninh Binh, Thai Binh, Nam Dinh, Thanh Hoa, and Nghe An have plans to evacuate over 150,000 local people before the storm makes landfall.